My Mission Is Simple
I want to help leadership teams effect positive, lasting change and generate growth for themselves and their companies. I connect the dots. I am focused on providing practical, impactful business coaching. I want your company to be worth more than when I walked in the door.
Leadership Team Coaching Q&A:
Business coaching is probably one of the most misunderstood and “fuzzy” concepts. What is it? What does it look like? How do I know this is for me or my company? How can I judge results? Why are there so many coaches in the marketplace? And the beat goes on ….
Many leaders confuse business coaches with consultants. Believe me, they’re not the same thing. A consultant will come into your business and work with you regarding a single issue in which they have a level of expertise. That can be very helpful. But that’s not what a business coach is all about.
A business coach examines your whole organization, and “gets under the hood” to see how things run. After considerable observation, a business coach will focus on pragmatic steps to take, provide you tools to make needed changes, and coach you in the implementation of those actions. Actins like reviving your strategy, improving organization, identifying marketing needs, and boosting the overall performance of your business.
And the most important point of all? A great coach will hold you accountable for all you have committed to!
If you want to see dramatic changes in the way your business operates, you can’t conduct business as usual. You need to identify meaningful goals and create a strategy for their achievement. That’s exactly what I do. I have the tools and the experience to help you create and achieve specific, realistic goals for you and your company.
Everything I do, every service I offer is focused on assisting you and your team to bring insight and clarity to bear on your most critical issues, opportunities and decisions: removing constraints, increasing leadership effectiveness, setting truly differentiated strategy, reviewing and updating your business model. A brilliant strategy, blockbuster product, or breakthrough technology can put you on the competitive map, but only solid execution can keep you there.
Your take away? Business coaching can be the single greatest investment you make in you and your business.
Why have so many already successful business teams turned to working with a business coach? Because anyone who has reached a major pinnacle of success, be it in business, athletics or politics, knows that no one, no matter how talented and powerful they may seem, finds true success alone. They know that mentors, coaches and supporters are essential to achieving the best result.
YOU are the owner, CEO or leader of an innovative, growth focused, hard working company wanting faster, better results, and ultimately greater company value. But something keeps getting in the way:
- Lack of clarity on company direction
- Not growing (scaling up) fast enough
- You seek better ways to run your business
- You cannot attract A player talent
- Your leadership does not execute or work together well
- Your company is stuck at current levels of performance
- There is no framework that allows your team members to use their own judgment
When my tools and methodology are successfully implemented, you can attain these four outcomes:
- Triple your industry average profitability
- Increased valuation of your company relative to competitors
- Double your current rate of cash flow
- Your employees, customers and shareholders enjoy the climb
How My Engagement Process Works
It all begins with understanding. Understanding your business and direction. Understanding your process and offerings. Understanding your industry and competition. By immersing myself in your business, I am able to craft customized solutions that fit. That solve. Calibrated to your company.
- Free 2-hour strategy session. You and your leadership team meet with me for a free 2-hour strategy session. We mutually determine if we can work together to make a significant impact on your company.
- Assess your current reality. Are you meeting your growth objectives and are your key relationships harmonious and healthy? If not, why not
- Determine our fit. Our interpersonal chemistry, the core values we have in common, and we discuss the value of our expertise and experience.
- Explore options. Recommending a road map of actions and timelines to achieve successful outcomes for your business.
- Your Investment. My coaching offerings range from $5000 to $9000 per quarter, depending on frequency of sessions and the objectives we agree on.
- Confirm our engagement. Verifying with your key leaders that your company is a learning organization, open to change and willing to invest time and resources to learn, grow, and be accountable for results.
What to Expect while You Scale Up
- Due Diligence. We conduct due diligence to learn about your goals and motivations, your company and the leadership team.
- Private Workshop. An initial Two-Day Private Workshop will be conducted with you and your leadership team. At this initial workshop we will facilitate discussions with the entire team around strategic thinking, execution planning and constructing a one-page plan for the organization.
- Quarterly Leadership Rhythm. 2 Day Learning, Review & Planning Sessions will be held each quarter coinciding with your organization’s fiscal year. These sessions are for the company’s leadership team and will include a review of the past quarter and prioritizing and planning a (successful) next quarter.
- Monthly Coaching Calls. In the months between the quarterly meetings we will have Monthly “Executive Coaching Calls”. The purpose of these sessions is to coach the leader and the team on the implementation of the program, and act as a sounding board for any other challenges or issues that may arise between quarterly sessions.
- Checkups/Assessments. Every six months, the entire leadership team will complete an online assessment to establish the current organizational health, and monitor the progress made over time.
- Continual Learning. Continuous learning is at the heart of everything we do. Leadership teams will commit to quarterly leadership and growth education.
Your own “Company” online portal.
- For Company and each Team Member
- Track your progress and manage coaching plans
- Receive timely reminders to maintain momentum
- Keep a running record of results, materials & insights
- Review course materials and past session notes
- Message David whenever you could use support
- Use our mobile app for keeping up on the go
Our online portal has been created by John Larson of Coach Accountable. In the video below, John describes the portal and gives you a personal tour of all that it offers. When we work together, this will be customized to your company and your aspirations and objectives. And of course, I will be your coach. ENJOY!
Hiring a coach isn’t a day-to-day decision for you. In fact, it might be a once in a lifetime decision for you! There are 6 factors that consistently separate the best coaches from the rest. Use them to tip the scales in your favor to find the “right” coach for your business.
1. Pick the person, not the toolkit.
Don’t focus on the tools! Rather, assess your confidence in the coach to actually deliver the outcomes you seek – and trust that they will bring the right tools to make it happen.
2. Determine if they practice what they preach.
Here are a handful of questions to help you assess whether a coach practices what she or he preaches: (a) When was the last time you met with your own coach? (b) What kinds of things are you working on with your coach? (c) How are you using the tools / processes you recommend for us in your coaching practice? (d) How much did you spend on your own professional education and development in the past year? (e) What did you spend it on?
3. Find the personal “fit.”
A great coach makes you feel uncomfortable as he or she pushes you and your team to learn, grow, and accelerate change in your business. Be careful not to confuse the appropriate “discomfort” they may cause in you and your team during the selection process with your sense of their “fit.” Great coaches coach, they don’t “sell” themselves– so you should feel their fit (or not) consistently throughout your selection process.
4. Probe for relevant training, experience and continuing education.
Due to the absence of any mandated licensing requirements, there is an extremely low barrier to entry for the coaching business. Probe carefully to determine their years of experience as a practitioner and their level of formal training – both as a coach and specific to the tool sets they utilize. Also ask how many hours per year they devote to recurring education and training.
5. Assess prior relevant measurable results.
Prior relevant results are the best predictor of future relevant results. Carefully probe each coach’s experience with clients similar to you and your business to establish relevance before you inquire about their results. Focus on specific factors such as business size / complexity, business model, professional maturity of leadership, and ownership structure to determine relevance.
6. Look for some type of guarantee.
Ask your prospective coach if they offer any form of guarantee and, if not, why not. Although business performance guarantees of results like profitability or growth rate are relatively rare (after all, you are the one running your business, hiring/firing, and calling the shots – not the coach), satisfaction guarantees – often including a “money back” component – are more common. Skin in the game speaks volumes.
This is a summarized version of “How to Hire a Coach” by Mark Green a friend and colleague. It is one of the best guides I have seen to help you make a great decision. David
Introductory Coaching Call
Take 30 minutes to get clear about where you’d like to take your business, your team and what might be standing in your way. Speak with me on a video conference call. During our Discovery Call, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Zero in on where you want your business to be three years from now.
- Identify the most important obstacles in the way of achieving your goals.
- Gain clarity on the biggest opportunities you’re excited about as well as the strengths you’ve developed.
- Determine the next steps to take—your plan and path.
And, you can take a personal tour of our portal. Let’s connect!