One of the biggest challenges for many companies is a lack of strategic focus. We say, “yes” to too many things. The result is reduced business performance, ineffective ways of working, and indecision among our teams. This leads inevitably to decreased motivation. I believe, as leaders, our prime directive is to confirm, clarify, and communicate priorities. Then we hold our teams 100% accountable for delivering on those priorities.
Focus drives priorities. Here are some of my favorite words of wisdom from great leaders and thinkers on the art of focus, prioritization and clarity. What are your favorites? Use one or more of these in you next leadership team meeting. Insure your team is focused on delivering on the right priorities, and getting the right things done.
- Always remember, your focus determines your reality. – George Lucas
- It is not a daily increase, but a daily decrease. Hack away at the inessentials. – Bruce Lee
- You can do anything, but not everything. – David Allen
- The trick isn’t adding stuff, it’s taking away. – Mark Zuckerberg
- Action expresses priorities. – Mahatma Gandhi
- The art of leadership is saying no, not saying yes. It is very easy to say yes. – Tony Blair
- The key is not to prioritize what’s on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities. – Stephen Covey
- Life is short. Do stuff that matters. – Siqi Chen
- If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one. – Russian proverb
- Concentrate all your thoughts upon the work at hand. The sun’s rays do not burn until brought to a focus. – Alexander Graham Bell
- Lack of direction, not lack of time, is the problem. We all have twenty-four hour days. – Zig Ziglar
- Focusing is about saying no. – Steve Jobs
- You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks. – Winston Churchill
- What is important is seldom urgent, and what is urgent is seldom important. – Dwight D. Eisenhower
Copyright 2015-2020 David Paul Carter. All rights reserved.
Rockefeller Habits Checklist
This checklist provides the 10 most important functions of business that should be on auto-pilot for your company to run predictably and consistently.
Download the FREE Checklist. See what it has to offer your company.